Tuesday, January 22, 2019

Priests and pastors shoulder a huge emotional burden, but they're burning out ... alone

From Canada-


When we were 16, one of my closest friends told me he wanted to be a priest. I must have looked as shocked as I felt, because he reassuringly added "a Protestant priest, dear."

He read me right.

Having been raised Catholic, my mind jumped straight to celibacy, a concept that made my hormonal teenage mind reel. I was relieved to hear my friend wasn't committing to a life of total abstinence. For a moment, I had been afraid that I didn't know him at all.


Celibacy aside, I was still puzzled. I couldn't imagine joining the clergy. I realized that part of the reason I was confused was because I had no idea what being a priest entailed.

What do priests actually do?

More here-

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/newfoundland-labrador/ainsley-hawthorn-pov-priests-1.4982116?fbclid=IwAR0-jsOEMpQhKJdeVhhUnHthkxPE7LhyZUGsFptb8fk3yLHyQ__mu7OhP7Q


No comments: