Friday, February 22, 2019

Episcopal bishop: America must stop ‘running in fear’ from truth about racism

From Syracuse-

When we were children, we played hide and seek. One time when we were playing after dark, I was hiding behind a tree. I heard someone approaching and I began to run. No matter how fast I ran, the person chasing me kept getting closer. Something about running in the dark, feeling that I wouldn’t be able to escape, suddenly seemed ominous and frightening.

As February, the month dedicated to Black History and Presidents Day, comes to a close, I find myself considering the ways that our nation is still running in fear from the truth about racism. Those of us who have benefited most from slavery and institutional racism often dismiss the need to talk about race. We may even think racism no longer exists in America. But the more we refute it, the more we find it chasing us. There is more work to do, much more work. So as Lent, the Christian season of repentance, approaches on March 6, I invite you to join me in prayerfully doing the work of repenting of America’s original sin of institutional racism.

More here-

No comments: