Thursday, November 19, 2009

‘I felt so isolated and lonely,’ says reverend who returned


From The London Times-

Less than 12 months after resigning from the Church of England to head for Rome in 1994, the Rev Peter Bolton, 51, was back in the Anglican fold complaining of isolation and loneliness.

Father Bolton, who was at a church in Royton, Greater Manchester, and who now ministers in Weston-super-Mare, warned Anglicans of the pitfalls of moving.

“I never really felt part of the Catholic Church,” he said. “I remember going to Mass on Sunday. In the Church of England, you expect people to talk to you. But in the Catholic Church, not a priest, not a man in the congregation, no one spoke to me. I felt so isolated and lonely” A priest who was helping him told him to “go back home”.

Father Bolton said that the two churches were culturally different. “While I desired communion with the Catholic Church, it did not quite seem to happen for me.”

More here-

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/comment/faith/article6922422.ece

No comments: