Sunday, August 1, 2010

Anne Rice did not quit Christ but Roman Catholicism


From The Philadelphia Examiner-

When last mentioned here, novelist and former New Orleans resident Anne Rice was releasing a vook. Before that, the New Orleans Literature Examiner informed readers that Rice, most known for vampire novels, was skyping into a local bookstore, Octavia Books, to promote her latest novel about angels, another product of Rice embracing the Christian faith via the Roman Catholic Church.

What's the news now? Rice, whose new book Of Love and Evil is set for release in November, has reportedly "quit Christianity." However, as is clear by Rice's own words in more recent Facebook posts, she has not quit her faith in God nor in Christ:

My faith in Christ is central to my life. My conversion from a pessimistic atheist lost in a world I didn't understand, to an optimistic believer in a universe created and sustained by a loving God is crucial to me. But following Christ does not mean following His followers. Christ is infinitely more important than Christianity and always will be, no matter what Christianity is, has been, or might become.

Some of her earlier statements on Facebook that drew much attention at the Atheist Examiner and elsewhere revealed Rice's disillusionment with organized Christian religion's political positions:

As I said below, I quit being a Christian. I'm out. In the name of Christ, I refuse to be anti-gay. I refuse to be anti-feminist. I refuse to be anti-artificial birth control. I refuse to be anti-Democrat. I refuse to be anti-secular humanism. I refuse to be anti-science. I refuse to be anti-life. In the name of ...Christ, I quit Christianity and being Christian. Amen.

On her Facebook page, Rice continues to publish feedback on her remarks. The most recent was posted at 1:00 p.m. today, July 31, and the person shares with Rice personal experience about growing up Catholic.

More here-

http://www.examiner.com/x-7666-New-Orleans-Literature-Examiner~y2010m7d31-Anne-Rice-did-not-quit-Christ-but-Roman-Catholicism

No comments: