Monday, October 25, 2010

Tiny Asheville church has a big heart


From Asheville-

Buncombe County is full of hidden treasures and surprises. Each untraveled road may result in a new discovery, whether it's a panoramic view of misty blue mountains or a bucolic scene of an old cabin amidst grazing sheep on grass as green and soft as emerald velvet.

I'd lived in Asheville 10 years before I drove north on Riverside Drive toward Craggy Bridge and Old Leicester Highway and noticed an idyllic little stone church high on a hill opposite the French Broad River. It had what appeared to be a hundred steps leading to it.

I noticed the Episcopal Church sign and the name, Church of the Redeemer, and wondered why I'd never heard of it. I'd been attending Asheville Episcopal churches as long as I'd lived here.

Now that I've learned more about it, I wonder how many other people might not know about this special little church.

My mother and I had just moved to the Erwin Hills community. She could not drive and wanted to participate in weekday events at church. Since I had to work, I realized we needed to find a church closer than Trinity, where I had attended for years. There would also have to be members willing to give her a ride.

On finding the Church of the Redeemer, my first thought was, How in the world I would be able to get my 88-year-old mother up those steps? Off Jonestown Road, above the church, I soon found the drive behind the church that led to a little courtyard garden next to the church. There was even a ramp leading to the arched wooden doors of the church.

More here-

http://www.citizen-times.com/article/20101024/LIVING/310240038/1031/living&referrer=CAROUSELPROMO

No comments: