Wednesday, January 1, 2014

Anglican leader: Pope my person of the year

From Ireland-

The Archbishop of Canterbury has said the Pope is his person of the year. Justin Welby, the leader of the Church of england, endorsed the decision of Time Magazine to make Pope Francis its Person of the Year.

"Yes, I would put him as my person of the year," he said in an interview.


The archbishop described the Pope - whom he met earlier this year - as "extraordinary."


"I think it is fair to say the Catholic Church is 20 times bigger than the entire Anglican Communion and I wouldn't want to compare ourselves, or myself to him in any way at all," he said.


"The Pope has been hugely effective, he is an extraordinary man, quite brilliant in what he does. He has changed the sense of direction and purpose of the Catholic Church with his personal example and his words."


Pope Francis, from Argentina, was elected Pope in March at age 76 following the resignation of Pope Benedict XVI. He has been praised for his less formal approach as leader of the world's Catholics, refusing some of the trappings of the role and his decision not to live in the official papal residence.


More here-

http://www.irishnews.com/news/anglican-leader-pope-my-person-of-the-year-1313844

No comments: