Tuesday, December 16, 2014

The Tyranny of Orthodoxy

From Huffington-

Advent is dangerous. In my case I commenced my personal discernment to leave formation to become a Roman Catholic priest.

After 9 years as a member of the Society of Jesus (the Jesuits) I grew tired of the tyranny of orthodoxy, and deeply frustrated with being forced to live within it. I could not lie about my sexual identity no matter how good an upper middle class lifestyle religious life gave me. I could not be dishonest with the people I'd joyfully serve. To me Advent is a time of birth and new birth, not a season to consolidate groupthink or to publicly worship within a faith system because it feels safe or familiar.

More here-

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/benjamin-brenkert/the-tyranny-of-orthodoxy_b_6320656.html?utm_hp_ref=religion

No comments: