Friday, February 27, 2015

She asked God, ‘Are you serious? If you don’t want me to do this I will stop.’

From The Washington Post-

Becky Zartman, 29, is assistant rector at St. Thomas’ Parish, an Episcopal church near Dupont Circle in Washington. She lives in Southeast Washington. This is an edited transcript of her interview with writer Laura Sessions Stepp.

I was born in central Pennsylvania, a sixth-generation Episcopalian. My parents went to church every week; it’s just what you did. I was an acolyte before I could read, and in Sunday school, I would ask so many questions that my priest would finally say, “Does anyone else besides Becky have a question?”

I had always known I wanted to be a priest, and in early 2005, two years before graduating from Gettysburg College in Gettysburg, Pa., I approached the priest in my home town – who had replaced my childhood priest – for his backing. In the Episcopal Church, you need your local priest’s support to enter seminary and start the process of becoming ordained. This man didn’t think women should be priests. So I started the process at a church in Gettysburg and halfway through that process, the priest in Gettysburg left.


More here-

http://www.washingtonpost.com/local/she-asked-god-are-you-serious-if-you-dont-want-me-to-do-this-i-will-stop/2015/02/26/b7533562-bc4c-11e4-b274-e5209a3bc9a9_story.html

No comments: