Sunday, July 30, 2017

Why Do Intelligent Atheists Still Read The Bible Like Fundamentalists?

From Patheos-

Before I begin, if you’re an atheist coming here looking for a fight, I’m the wrong guy. Yes, I’m a Christian (okay, the Religious Right would take issue with that claim, but whatever), but I have the utmost respect for my atheist friends and colleagues– especially the fruitful dialogue we have, and the many areas of common ground that can be discovered when we take the time to listen to one another.
One of those colleagues I respect is Hemant Mehta over at Friendly Atheist (and in further disclosure, Terry Firma at Friendly Atheist is one of my real-life best friends).


Hemant has given me some thoughtful and friendly push-back from time to time, and in this case, I need to do the same.


So here is the question I can’t figure out, and was reminded of when reading a piece Hemant wrote: Why do intelligent atheists often insist on reading the Bible like a fundamentalist– as if there’s only one way to understand and apply it to Christian living?


Case in point: Friendly Atheist today is poking a bit of fun at a Miss Teen USA contestant who happens to be a devout Christian. Their issue with her?


That she has a tattoo.


More here-

http://www.patheos.com/blogs/formerlyfundie/intelligent-atheists-still-read-bible-like-fundamentalists/

No comments: