Tuesday, August 1, 2017

Lessons from the confessional on dealing with ‘cutting’

From Crux Now-

“I cut myself.”

It’s a bald statement, which I repeatedly hear in confessions of high school youth, one offered along with more mundane sins, such as disobeying one’s parents or stealing a jacket at school.  Sometimes it’s followed by a specification.  The young person behind the screen will add, “On my stomach.”


In one face-to-face confession, the young man showed me his arms.


In three decades of hearing confessions, I’d developed the attitude of Qoheleth, the author of Ecclesiastes: “There is nothing new under the sun.”  But after twenty years of primarily scholastic ministry, I have returned to parochial ministry.  Hearing so many confessions about “cutting” is new for me.


More here-

https://cruxnow.com/commentary/2016/11/13/lessons-confessional-dealing-cutting/

No comments: