Tuesday, December 11, 2018

Aslan Is Not a Tame Lion: The Serious Mistake of Casual Worship

From Patheos-

As a professional Christian, I don’t get many Sundays off. In fact, I tend to take fewer off than I am allowed, since I enjoy my work immensely and am not traveling much these days. But a couple weeks ago I was in Boston on a Sunday morning, and following the recommendation of a few friends, found my way to The Church of the Advent, an Episcopal parish serving Boston’s Beacon Hill neighborhood since 1844.

Google maps directed me from the T, but once I was within about eight blocks I put my phone away and followed the smell of incense wafting through the brisk New England autumn air.

Worship at Advent differs from common liturgical practice in the contemporary American church, to say the least. It is exceedingly beautiful, sublime even, evoking a sense of transcendence that seems strikingly out of place, even in one of the most historic cities in the country. Continuity and communion with the universal church is palpable.  

More here-

https://www.patheos.com/blogs/ponderanew/2018/10/29/worship-is-not-a-casual-activity/?fbclid=IwAR15J8_BrAg7nLdcF89gaHsfVTaVoN2iH5QTBwSpi22i8dCaOzXbG8cZRIk#TtKmDyhEcRa08DVc.01

No comments: