Saturday, March 23, 2019

Speaking Clearly About the Cost LGBTQ People Bear

From Union-

Several months ago, I received an email asking me to serve on the Taskforce on Communion Across Difference. Truthfully, my initial reaction was to say “absolutely not.” Growing up as an effeminate Latino gay kid in a small, mostly white town in rural Texas, the wounds are still fresh even as I approach my 38th year. I have only recently begun speaking about the fear of physical violence, the incessant teasing of my voice since the age of six, the nights that my family received prank call after prank call from fellow classmates screaming “faggot” into my mother’s ear, and how, after one particularly bad night, this resulted in my first of three suicide attempts.

Therefore, the idea of seeking communion across difference with Episcopal church theologians, editors, and clergy who are actively promulgating the idea that LGBTQ relationships are inherently sinful, made my stomach turn. And then, as if to bring this work even closer to home, my boyfriend proposed to me in late October. He and I will be married at the end of June in our Episcopal church.

More here-

https://utsnyc.edu/speaking-clearly/?fbclid=IwAR3Rl9b_9S0H8-gCpUPZQdyEWNirrzDKGtSJEOT1w--qqP782oxdBaHr-pU#.XJVNryIGmxY.facebook

No comments: