Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Good Stuff in TEC: Kentucky


Warming shelter ministry set

Pastors of five Murray-Calloway County churches are planning to open a warming shelter ministry for local residents needing temporary shelter, food and other necessities inside the First United Methodist Church Christian Life Center.

The Rev. Richard Smith, pastor of First Methodist, said following a meeting of organizers late last week that the effort is the translation of Christian ministry from Bible teaching to service of those in need in Christ's name.

“In the love of Christ to provide warmth, shelter, food, and a caring experience for those who are homeless or who find themselves without functioning utilities on extremely cold nights,” Smith said. “It is a cooperative plan of defined churches, community resources, and dedicated volunteers.”

Smith said the ministry is based on the words of Christ in New Testament book of Matthew; Chapter 25.

“For I was hungry and you gave me food, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you welcomed me, I was naked and you gave me clothing,” Smith quoted in a news release to the Murray Ledger & Times. “I was sick and you took care of me...Truly I tell you, just as you did it to one of the least of these who are members of my family you did it to me.”

http://www.murrayledger.com/articles/2008/12/29/top_story/news01.txt

You can see all of the Good Stuff posts by clicking on Good Stuff in the labels below.

1 comment:

Diane said...

Jim
Thanks for all the "good stuff" posts. It is encouraging for those of us in TEC (espcially in Pittsburgh) to read of continuing good works in Christ's name in other Episcopal dioceses and parishes. I am convinced we will survive the abandonment of our former bishop and over 1/2 of our parishes. Your blog has been a place to log onto daily to read your perspective, to laugh, and to continue to be amazed at God's ongoing provision for us. So thank you!