Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Choosing to serve like Jesus


A nice piece from Atlanta-

During the past year, my home has become the gathering place for my extended family. All the cooking and sleeping and socializing happen at my house, which of course means a great deal of preparation, shopping, and cleaning beforehand for me.

As these family times approach, I try to consider how I will handle all the people in my house. Will I be helpful or irritable when a guest needs something? Will I be cheerful during our time together or exhausted by the end? Will I be a dictator or a servant?

Often times in daily life, we forget that we have many opportunities to choose our attitude toward others and the circumstances of our lives. Our natural tendency may be to complain and fuss and have a bad attitude when relationships or situations are not how we would wish, but we can choose to put our ill-tempered feelings aside and instead respond in word and deed as Jesus would have done.

Of course, choosing to act like Jesus is not always easy. At first, it is very difficult, because it is a discipline that must be practiced. Just as those of us who want to get in shape after the New Year will be successful if we develop new habits that become part of our lifestyle, so will we be successful imitating Jesus if we practice to such an extent that it becomes habit.

In the meantime, the Holy Spirit is within us cultivating our hearts so that responding like Jesus is not just a habit but grows second nature to us. We still at times have to make the choice to turn away from our old tendencies, but through the work of the Holy Spirit, our desire to please Christ and imitate Him is stronger than our desire to indulge our old habits.

And out of our desire to please Christ grows a sweet willingness within us to serve and help others, in order to bring glory to Him.

John Henry Newman, an Anglican leader in nineteenth century England, said that “to take up the cross of Christ is no great action done once and for all: it consists in the continual practice of small duties which are distasteful to us.”

More here-

http://www.examiner.com/x-11476-Atlanta-Christian-Living-Examiner~y2009m6d16-Choosing-to-serve-like-Jesus

1 comment:

Brad Evans said...

That's it-next time I'm in a bank, I'll upset the benches and desks, just like Jeezussssssssssss!
Too bad I'm not 13 anymore-I could've gone away to talk to strange men without telling either my mother or my 'father' (wink, wink!).