Friday, August 28, 2009

Tony Blair: Cherie inspired me to become a Catholic


From The London Telegraph-

Converting from the Anglican Church to Catholicism two years ago was like "coming home", he said.

"Frankly, this all began with my wife. I began to go to Mass and we went together. We could have gone to the Anglican or Catholic church - guess who won?

"Ever since I began preparations to become a Catholic, I felt I was coming home; and this is now where my heart is, where I know I belong," Mr Blair told the Communion and Liberation meeting in the Adriatic resort of Rimini.

The former prime minister, who now runs the Tony Blair Faith Foundation, switched to Catholicism soon after leaving office two years ago. His wife and children were already Catholic.
Last December, in an interview with the BBC, he said he had delayed his conversion until after he had resigned because to have converted while in power would have made him Britain's first Catholic prime minister and would have caused a "palaver".

He said he feared that discussing his religious beliefs while still in Downing Street would have led to him being branded a "nutter".

Mr Blair received a standing ovation for his speech in Rimini, during which he said he was "humbled" to address such an eminent gathering because he was a "very new entrant" to the Catholic Church.

The rest-

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/religion/6106582/Tony-Blair-Cherie-inspired-me-to-become-a-Catholic.html

No comments: