Sunday, September 1, 2013

God is pro-union After all, Moses was a labor organizer

From Pittsburgh Post-Gazette-

The two jobs I work complement each other nicely. One pays my bills but sucks my soul, while the other heals my soul but doesn't pay enough to cover my bills.

The soul-crushing job is in full-time retail. And in the interest of continuing that employment, I hasten to say that I'm not knocking my employer but the dynamics of the industry itself. The soul-healing job is in part-time pastoral ministry. Working between these material and spiritual spheres of life can generate some social and ethical insights -- at least I'd like to think so.


For example, at my retail job we have an entire cooler door devoted to energy drinks: Monster, Rockstar, Red Bull, Amp, you name it. And let's not forget the five-hour one available at the counter. I doubt that many customers give much thought to using them to get through the day. But I look at those products and think, "What's wrong with us? When did we start needing so many additives to keep us going? Didn't God make days off so we could rest up and recharge?"



Read more:

http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/opinion/perspectives/god-is-pro-union-701577/#ixzz2ddYkJNnK

No comments: