Wednesday, September 4, 2013

Zimbabwe gets first woman priest, more than 12,000 km away in New Zealand

From Zimbabwe/New Zealand-

When the Lynfield Community Church minister was first ordained by the Anglican Church in New Zealand four years ago she was breaking new ground as a female Zimbabwean minister.

It was upon discovering women were not accepted as Anglican ministers in Zimbabwe that Ms Gumbeze made the decision to leave her family behind to fulfil her calling.

“When I grew up I had never seen a woman priest but it never crossed my mind that there were professions that women weren’t allowed to do,” she says.

“For someone who is so strong on social issues it bothered me. I thought this was an injustice – if I would like this and I believe God wants me to do this, who are these men to tell me I can’t?”


More here-

http://nehandaradio.com/2013/09/04/zimbabwe-gets-first-woman-priest-more-than-12-000-km-away-in-new-zealand/

No comments: