Monday, November 18, 2013

Reporter Learns to Listen Anew

From The Living Church-

Television reporter Judith Valente’s first visit to Mount St. Scholastica Monastery in Atchison, Kansas, was supposed to be a routine speaking gig at a retreat center. But within a few hours on site, she began to feel a different pull: to be changed, on a personal level, by the cloistered community.

 “I realized I wasn’t really feeding my own soul,” recalls Valente, a correspondent for Religion & Ethics Newsweekly on PBS. “I was running around the country giving all these programs, [and] I wasn’t taking care of my own sense of the sacred in daily life.”

Valente was so impressed by the sisters, who had “such an ease with which they walked through their days,” that she became a pilgrim. Traveling six hours each way from her home in Normal, Illinois, she visited the Mount for several days per month from 2008 to 2011.

More here-


http://www.livingchurch.org/reporter-learns-listen-anew

No comments: