Wednesday, September 24, 2014

What Happens to Christianity When People Stop Believing in Hell?

From Truth Out-

Three years ago, my sister, who had long struggled with mental illness, hit her limit and jumped off a freeway bridge. She lived.

She was rushed to the county trauma center, and by the time I arrived from Seattle she was hooked up to an array of life support technologies and monitors. Brain trauma made it hard to know how much she understood of her situation or our conversations, and to know whether she would live.

One night, while she was in this state, I said to her, "Katha, I don't know if you can hear me, but I want you to know that we all want for you whatever you want for yourself. If you want to fight this thing and try again, we want that. If you are sick of fighting and ready to be done, that's ok too." While I spoke to her, a nurse was doing record keeping at a computer terminal near the foot of her bed. Some time later when I got up to leave, he approached me and said, "You know, if your sister dies right now she will go to hell."


More here-

http://www.truth-out.org/opinion/item/26374-what-happens-to-christianity-when-people-stop-believing-in-hell

1 comment:

JCF said...

"the folks most likely to shine a flashlight on it are anti-theists like me"

After I saw the credit to Alternet, this is what I suspected. Really, "Alter" equals "anti-theist". This writer actually admitted it.