Tuesday, November 21, 2017

Pauli Murray's 'Song of Hope'

From Philadelphia-

Hope is a song in a weary throat.

Give me a song of hope

And a world where I can sing it.

Give me a song of faith

And a people to believe in it.

Give me a song of kindliness

And a country where I can live it.

Give me a song of hope and love

And a brown girl’s heart

to hear it.

This verse is from the poem “Dark Testament” by the Rev. Dr. Anna Pauline “Pauli” Murray, a writer, scholar, Episcopal priest and civil rights warrior who spent her extraordinary life challenging barriers and systems of discrimination in all forms. I recently had the joy of being the first overnight guest at the new Pauli Murray College at Yale University after the dedication of the new residential college named in her honor. She would be so pleased!


More here-

http://www.phillytrib.com/commentary/pauli-murray-s-song-of-hope/article_9108b848-7c68-5978-b68e-78f62738ddbe.html

No comments: