Saturday, November 28, 2015

Boston’s homeless craft an income and self-esteem

From Portland (about Boston)

As winter approaches, attendance at Common Art increases, and as many as 100 homeless and low-income people paint, draw, knit, sew, make jewelry or engage in other crafts that allow them to boost their self-esteem and make a little cash.

Chris Haubrich started coming to Common Art about 10 years ago when he was homeless and still comes regularly even though he now has an apartment.

“This is the place that saved me,” Haubrich said, dabbing at a colorful painting of a parrot. “This is my safety net.”

“I was a kid who grew up being told I couldn’t do anything,” he said. “I had no patience, and this has brought out my patience, given me focus.”


More here-

http://www.pressherald.com/2015/11/27/bostons-homeless-craft-an-income-and-self-esteem/

No comments: