Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Good Stuff in TEC: Dallas

The Other Side of the Bridge

I recently was part of a mission team from St. Philip’s Episcopal Church in Frisco that went to Belize to facilitate a three-day training seminar for teachers in the Anglican Diocese of Belize school system. The training was scheduled for the end of our weeklong trip. So after staying our first night in Belize City, we took a 90-minute water-taxi ride to San Pedro to visit HolyCrossAnglicanSchool.

My husband and I have followed the school pretty closely since before it opened, so I was beyond excited to get to San Pedro and see and be a part of the school that I had only seen in photos.

When I first got off the water taxi, I was taken aback by how beautiful San Pedro was. The water was so clear and the sand was a bright white. It was just how I expected a resort island to be.Link
We walked a short ways down the beach and crossed the bridge entering the community of San Mateo, which is where the school is located. The stark contrast from one side of the bridge to the other was unbelievable.

I remember thinking to myself, I only walked just a few steps, why are conditions so drastically different on this side of the bridge?

http://neighborsgo.com/stories/25750

You can see all of the Good Stuff posts by clicking on Good Stuff in the labels below.

No comments: