Sunday, March 7, 2010

Responding to the Pope’s Anglican Invitation


From The National Catholic Register-

This past week, the U.S. branch of the Traditional Anglican Communion formally requested entry into the Catholic Church. They did so under the terms of the apostolic constitution Anglicanorum Coetibus , issued last fall by Pope Benedict XVI.

Father Douglas Grandon is a former Anglican priest who became a Catholic in 2003 and was ordained a priest for the Diocese of Peoria, Ill. in 2008. His spiritual journey has taken him from Pentecostalism to evangelicalism to the Episcopal Church and finally to Catholicism.

He currently serves as associate pastor of Sacred Heart Catholic Church in Moline, Ill. He spoke with Register senior writer Tim Drake.
Where are you from originally and what is your faith background?

I’m from northern Illinois. I didn’t grow up in a Christian home. I first heard the Gospel at the age of 14 at a coffee shop that offered free donuts, coffee, pop and a little bit of folk guitar music. I heard the Gospel there and responded to it a few weeks later by attending the Pentecostal church of the fellow I met there. That’s where I was during my high school years.

Later, I joined the Evangelical Free Church, a Scandinavian breakaway church from the Lutheran Church. As I was being drawn toward Catholicism, but was a little too afraid of the Catholic Church, I spent several years in the Episcopal Church. It was there that I met the very fine Episcopal Bishop Edward McBurney.

More here-

http://www.ncregister.com/register_exclusives/responding_to_the_popes_anglican_invitation/

No comments: